How to peel pearl onions easily.
Slice off the root ends and drop into boiling water for less than a minute. Drain and rinse with cold water. Pinch the stem end of each, and a peeled onion will pop out. When they're in the skillet, shake the onions frequently for even browning.
Caramelized White Pearl Onions
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1/4 cup)
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 1 teaspoon butter
• 1 (10-ounce) package pearl onions
• 1/3 cup water
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
• 2 tablespoons dry white wine
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
How to make it
Heat oil in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Melt butter in pan. Add onions, and cook 5 minutes or until lightly browned, shaking pan frequently. Add water and sugar, and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 8 minutes. Uncover and cook 2 minutes or until liquid evaporates. Stir in thyme and remaining ingredients; cook 1 minute. For morerecipes go to; www.myrecipes.com
Gold Pearl Onion Recipe
• 1 Tbsp. cooking oil shopping list
• 1 clove garlic, thinly sliced shopping list
• 1/2 cup orange marmalade shopping list
• 1/2 tsp. salt shopping list
• 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper shopping list
• 1 Tbsp. snipped fresh chives or parsley shopping list
Note shopping list
• If desired, omit fresh onions and Step 1; substitute one 16-ounce package frozen small whole onions and cook according to package directions until tender. Drain well and set aside. Proceed with Step 2. Serve with a slotted spoon. shopping list
How to make it
* 1. In a medium saucepan cook onions in enough boiling water to cover for 1 minute; drain well. Cool onions slightly and peel. In the same saucepan cook peeled onions, covered, in a small amount of boiling lightly salted water for 10 minutes or until tender; drain well and set aside.
* 2. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic; cook and stir about 30 seconds or until golden. Stir in marmalade until melted. Stir in onions, salt, and pepper; cook and stir for 3 to 5 minutes or until marmalade is slightly thickened and coats onions. Stir in chives.
* Makes 4 to 6 servings, For more information go to; www.grouprecipes.com/pearl-onion
Red Pearl Onion Recipe
Yield: Makes 8 servings (abot 4 cups)
Active time: 1 1/2 hr
total time: 2 1/2 hr
We know they're a pain to peel, but we promise that these jewellike pearl onions are worth it. Cooked until just tender, they make a dazzling disk.
• 2 1/2 lb fresh red pearl onions
• 3/4 cup apple juice
• 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 (4-inch) sprigs fresh thyme
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• Garnish: fresh thyme leaves for sprinkling
How to make it
Blanch pearl onions in a 6- to 8-quart pot of boiling water 1 minute, then drain in a colander. When onions are cool enough to handle, peel.
Cook onions with remaining ingredients, covered, in a 12-inch heavy skillet over moderately low heat, shaking pan occasionally, until onions are tender and glazed and most of liquid is evaporated, about 45 minutes. Discard thyme.
Onions can be cooked 1 day ahead and cooled completely, uncovered, then chilled, covered. Reheat over low heat, about 10 minutes, before serving.